Monday, October 7, 2013

Hello everyone,

This week I won't have any pictures, but I will just tell you about one experience.

We went out to a place called the Big Hole.  It is a valley next to Dillon and we serve there too.  We rarely get out there because it is so far and we don't know too many people out there, but we got a call from someone who had a family for us to teach.  They picked us up Thursday and we went out to the farthest place from civilization I have ever been.  We drove for 2 hours, and probably 45 minutes of that was on a dirt road.  I start to get really panicky feeling inside when we go far away from civilization, so I was starting to feel kind of sick.  I was also nervous about the lesson because I didn't know what to expect from this family.  But then, we stopped the truck and said a prayer.  I started feeling better.  We drove a little further and got to their house, and it was this young couple who had a 2 month old baby.  They welcomed us right in their home, and I felt more at peace.  We taught about the Restoration of the Gospel and invited them to be baptized and they happily agreed.  They said that since they have had Daniel, their baby, they have wanted to turn more toward God.  They asked many questions and are very sincere.  It was a really cool experience to feel their strong desires to know the truth and to be able to share it with them.  (There was even a bird flapping around in the wood-burning stove that wanted to hear some of our message...good thing he calmed down so we could continue the lesson, haha :) I was grateful for this experience because it showed me again how true this message is and also how there are many people who want to hear it, even far far away in the mountains of Montana.  They were humble and grateful and so kind to us.  

We walked out of the house and just stopped and stared.  It was so dark. And there were so many stars.  I haven't seen anything like that in a long time.  Sister Spencer said, "Listen."  But, I couldn't hear a thing.  Then, I realized that was the point.  It was sooo quiet.  I am grateful for times where we can be still.  God says, "Be still, and know that I am God."  I am trying to do that a little more.  I am learning that "Being still" doesn't just mean "do nothing."  It is more than that.  To me, I think it means pausing and remembering what I know.  

I love you all.  Just like our leaders said this weekend in Conference, the gospel of Jesus Christ is the light in the world.

Thank you Gisselle for the package and letter and Mom and Dad and Sister Lamp for your letters.

Love,
Sister Hixson

No comments:

Post a Comment