Monday, July 7, 2014

"I gave up my lunch money so pray for me."

This week has been awesome.  Honestly, as I write that, i can't remember what happened, but i know that i feel like it was awesome. Haha.  

We spent the first couple days in Riverton for meeting, and we came back to Worland Tuesday night. We had a lesson with the Crippens, and it was so cool to see them so interested in the Plan of Salvation. The mom is a less-active member, and she doesn't remember a lot.  Their family wants the gospel in their lives.  It's just really hard to change.  If you could all pray for their family, that would be amazing.  They are seriously amazing. I met them a few weeks ago, and every time we see them, i feel like I've known them for years.  

The Fourth of July was awesome! The Fourth of July has become my favorite holiday along with Christmas...I love the United States! And I love celebrating it! We were planning on going to Ten Sleep, the town of about 250 people 30 minutes away. They have a big parade and celebration there, and everyone in Worland goes there for it, but plans kind of changed, and Sister Smith and I felt that it would be better for us to stay in Worland and tract. We spent the morning contacting referrals and then tracted houses that we felt we should knock on. So many people were home, and we were able to teach several lessons with people we just met! Most of them weren't interested in taking the lessons or being baptized, but they really appreciated us talking with them, and we were able to bear our testimonies to them, and that is always a privilege. It is so awesome to know that everyone is my brother and sister. I love knowing that when I talk to people.  Even when they don't accept, I just am grateful to know that I am their sister and I am bringing them the truth, whether it's time for them to accept it or not.  Worland is the treasure of Wyoming....you know, since I've seen all of it, and really know ;) but really, as we ride our bikes around, we find houses and places that make us feel like we are in a movie or in another country.  On the fourth of July we went to Hawaii and England all in one day. World travelers :) 

Sunday was so good. Tom got confirmed and bore his testimony twice.  He is a miracle for this area and for all of our lives.  Bro. Wilde, his chiropractor and friend who met him and introduced him to the gospel three weeks ago exactly, bore his testimony and said how Tom is such an example because he has changed his life around so quickly and faithfully.  Then Tom got up and explained how it has not been easy.  He was reminded about fasting Saturday night, and here he was fasting (and he will be the first to tell you, he loves his meat!), but he chose to fast as soon as he was reminded about it. He said, "I may not make it today, but I gave up my lunch money, so pray for me." He is moving forward with great faith, and we all admire him for it.  I have a great love for Tom.  He is sixty eight and has the most awesome Texan accent, and he has opened his heart and mind to God. Because he has, he has been taught so much and his life has truly changed for the better.  It makes me think about how much we can really do when we listen to our Heavenly Father and obey him- how much we can become when we do that.  We can truly become who HE wants us to be, which is much better than who we think we can be. 

I had a special experience on Friday when we were out walking, contacting referrals.  We walked past this house with the garage open and five men standing around their motorcycle drinking their beer.  I had the opportunity to stop and testify to them of the gospel.  They smirked a little at first, but then they got quiet and just listened.  They kindly declined and laughed saying that they obviously weren't ready for those changes in their life right now.  They accepted a pass-along card, and we went on our way.  This experience was special because as I testified I felt again that what I was saying was true.  The gospel is true.  Some people don't have it because they don't know it exists. They don't know that yes, we do know where we go after this life! Yes, we do know that there is actually an ordinance that binds our families together forever! Yes, we do know that there is a purpose for this life! and that, yes, you can fulfill your purpose as you rely on the Lord!  Yes, He speaks to you and will answer your prayers so you know what to do!  Yes, He loves you and knows you! It seems that some people just accept that we just don't know, or, they choose a church that seems to fit with most of what they think, or where they feel most comfortable, or where they feel the most love from the people.  And those are all good things! But, we can know that we are being taught the truth by praying about it.

I am grateful for the opportunity to testify of the gospel.  There was a young boy in our ward who got up at the very end of Fast and Testimony Meeting yesterday to bear his testimony.  The first thing he said was, "Just seeing everyone get up and bear their testimonies has given me the inspiration to bear mine."  I know that our testimonies strengthen others, even when it's awkward :)

Here is a scripture I liked this morning :)
3 Nephi 9:22 
"Therefore, whoso repenteth and cometh unto me as a little child, him will i receive, for of such is the kingdom of God."

I love you all! have an awesome week!

Sister Hixson
Taking a minute to rest 
 Happy missionaries
 Biking in a skirt...talented
Came home to discover screen from the window was off and tons of bugs had become their roommates.  Killed them with bug spray to the ceiling.  Winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment